Monday, January 2, 2012

January 1

I was standing at my kitchen sink this morning, preparing the first pot of coffee for 2012 (we know there will be a minimum of 364 left to be made), and was looking out the window.  There is a beautiful large window over my sink…well, I say “my”,  but we still haven’t been able to close on our house in Mobile due to the crazy mortgage company & holiday issues, but hopefully we will close in January because the German has switched to our mortgage comp & they say it can be closed in three weeks.  So back to the window that the owners of our home in Rome have so graciously allowed us to rent until the closing goes through.  Are you confused yet?  I know I have been.
Where were we?  Ah, yes, the window…ANYWAY…there is a lovely large window over my kitchen sink that gives me a wonderful view of the back deck & yard.  We sit near the top of a hill, so everything slopes down from the house.  It’s a high & lofty feeling, I tell you.  I could see the sun rising on the first morning of 2012 and saw clouds literally RACING across the sky.  It came to me in a moment that we are so like those clouds. 
Clouds don’t get much say so in where they get to fly; they are blown about at the mercy of the wind, coming & going.  They are heavy & present & voluminous, dripping one minute, but can dissipate the next like a warm breath on a crisp cold morning. What a cloud can know for sure is that each day will bring changes.  Sometimes it’s a lazy summer day…still & peaceful, slow moving & warm.  Other days are tumultuous, like a hurricane wind that blows with force & and anger, destruction & uncertainty.  Some days they get to hover & watch from high above, staying out of the fray; some days it’s foggy, and they’re down in the bottoms dealing with life from the depths.
The other thing a cloud can know most definitely is that if it does make it through the night intact, the sun will most certainly rise in the morning.  A new day will dawn.  There will be a fresh start, a great adventure, never before seen places to explore.  And especially at this time of year, who doesn’t love the sense of new beginnings?
All this holds true for us as well.  There are things I know for certain no matter where I am: the sun will rise each morning, the SON has risen, indeed, and I will be blown into challenging, sometimes unexpected places.  I’m ever so grateful for that constant knowledge. 
Today I’m thankful for family that drives long distances to show love by helping us unpack at feverish paces, a husband that works hard to provide for his family, children that are bending & trying to stay upbeat with all the uncertainty of their new lives, the past, the future, old friends.
May our new year & yours be blessed because we have the ever present SON in our lives, no matter where we are or what we face.
“Yet those who wait for (hope in) the Lord will gain NEW (fresh) strength;                              They will mount up (sprout) with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired,                They will walk and not become weary.” Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment